Saturday, February 9, 2008

Book of the Week

I have decided to start a book of the week, because, well, I like children's literature. Books have a lot of power as emotional aids and in developing social norms and learning about a new book can mean your child learning about a part of themselves.

For my first book of the week I'm going to start with a classic author and one of his less famous books, Maurice Sendak's Kenny's Window. Published in 1956 it was the first book Sendak authored and illustrated. Influenced by Dorothy Baruch's case study One Little Boy and Baruch's advocacy of fantasy in children Kenny's Window is a touching story. The rich prose is accompanied by simple yet elegant illustration. Any child, and adult, reading the book will find themselves at ease with their mind and all of their fantasies.

Check out Kenny's Window on google books and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.


No comments: