Saturday, February 16, 2008

Teachers

I will hopefully be entering the ranks of public school teachers next year. I will be fresh out of an expensive liberal arts school education and expecting little to no pay and a lot of difficulties. I read a lot of blogs and newspaper articles about education theory and policy. I feel like I have a realistic view of what to expect, but the truth is, who knows what kind of curve balls will be thrown at me.

In a recent Newsweek article titled 'How to Make Great Teachers' multiple perspectives are discussed about how to make teachers the best they can be. From merit pay, to training programs, to complicated bonuses there are a million and one ideas about how to make teachers stronger. There is not one reason though about why teachers aren't performing at their best and in my opinion there will not be one solution to improving the quality of teachers.

I don't know if my opinion can really hold any weight on this issue yet. As much as I want to believe that I have solid ideas on what to do and how to make change the truth is that when I become a teacher, everything will be different. The most I can think to do for now is ponder these issues and hopefully, when I have not just my toes in the water but am swimming neck high, I will be able to take my experience and my ideas and really make a difference.

No comments: