Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Blogging till I bust

The New York Times recently featured an article "So You Want to Be a Blogging Star?". Perhaps this is off topic from the traditional education maze, but I'll let you in on a little secret. This blog is an independent project for a class. Yes, I do it for me too and I plan to keep it up when I graduate soon. So the concept of increasing the readership of my blog interests me for my personal education maze. The article lists a few key concepts to consider when blogging.

1. "Don't expect to get rich"- check and point

2." Write about what you want to write about, in your own voice." - The more I write the more I discover my own voice. I soon realized that my inexperience in the field of education policy would not allow me to comment as I might like on the policy in the way I would like. So I try to comment on what I know, or what I am thinking about. Sure, I comment on policy but often my thoughts are filled with questions and simple observations. Also, I like to write about books, and that is something I ALWAYS want to write about.

3. "Fit blogging into the holes in your schedule"- As a college student I am obviously attached to my computer and try to blog at least a few times a week.

4. "Just post it already!"- I read, I reread, and then I often delete. I am slowly learning that it's okay to just hit that publish button and hope the errors are at a minimum. I can always edit later.

5. "Keep a regular rhythm"- I feel like I post regularly enough. As this is for a class, I sure hope I am.

6. "Join the community, such as it is."- I link to lots of blogs and articles.

7. "Plug yourself."- What? Email my favorite bloggers. Way too scary. I try to comment on my favorite blogs and hopefully this does the same trick.

Well, here goes nothing. In two cool months I will not be writing this for my class but for myself and let's hope that I can keep it up. If you read my blog and are not me, my family, or my friends I appreciate comments and discussion. Really, I want to know what you think.

No comments: