Sunday, March 16, 2008

"A Person's a person no matter how small"

Last night, surrounded by families, I saw Horton Hears A Who on it's opening weekend. Thus, for this week the book of the week is also the movie of the week. I am a big Dr. Seuss fan. I fell in love instantly with the book Hop on Pop at a young age. When Seussical the Musical was on Broadway I fell in love all over again with the messages of Dr. Seuss. Now a senior in college I am analyzing some of his books and messages from a psychoanalytic and bibliotherapeutic perspective. Also, spoilers below.

I went into the movie with a thought, "Will it agree with Dr. Seuss' message of individuality and imagination" or will it be just another pop-culture box office hit. I was pleasantly surprised. The movie emphasized the power and importance of imagination. Imagination in Jojo's 'yop' is what saves Whoville. The Sour Kangaroo talks about how harmful imagination is only to be conquered by Horton. My favorite line from the book, and the movie, is the classic, 'A person's a person no matter how small', giving strength and power to the Whos, but most of all to the children reading the book.

So an A+ and lots of gold stars for this movie which immortalizes the classic book so well.

No comments: