Saturday, March 1, 2008

Get An 'A', Ride a Tank

I try my best to keep up with education articles but I do have to say I'm thankful for other bloggers who often lead me to informational and humorous bits of news. For this next piece I would like to thank Joanne Jacobs, a blogger I quite respect.

When I think of educational incentives I remember when we used to get stickers. Once, for an education game we got some toys. Never ever in my wildest dreams would I have thought to myself, "gee, if I do well in school I wonder if someone would drive me around in an army tank." What? Huh? Does any child think this? Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger seems to think so. He is bringing back an army tank he loaned a museum to give inner city kids a ride in when they do well in school. This is part of a plan he has proposed to 97 school districts where he says he would drive kids around 1 day a month. Now I'll admit, I don't know how big a tank is, but I would hope the eventual goal is that the majority of children would be reaping these rewards, and that one day a month would not cover driving around hundreds of kids.

This seems to me still to be a small issue because I question that the tank ride will motivate children. What about movie discounts? Shopping mall gift cards? Or even just a fun field trip. I don't know how feasible those rewards would be monetarily but I can't imagine that the promise of a tank ride is going to motivate. Then again, I'm no expert maybe what kids what is a tank ride with the governor.

No comments: